Grandma’s traditional light fluffy cake.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Combine the walnuts and the potato starch in a bowl; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, or using a hand held mixer, beat the egg yolks with ¼ cup of the sugar until very pale and thick, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- In a clean bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a clean whisk attachment or using clean hand held beaters, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining ½ cup of sugar in a thin stream, beating until the whites are shiny and stiff, but not dry. Beat in the lemon juice.
- Fold 1/3 of the beaten egg whites into the beaten egg yolks. Fold in the remaining egg whites. Fold in the walnut mixture.
- Lightly grease a 10-inch tube pan. Pour the cake mixture into the prepared tube pan, spreading it lightly and evenly.
- Bake in the center of the preheated oven for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out dry and clean. Cool in pan on rack. Invert to unmold.
Yield: 1 cake